What does the percentage of cocoa content mean?
Cocoa content refers to the total cocoa content in the chocolate, which is everything derived from the cocoa bean. For example, in our 58% Cocoa Dark Chocolate bars, the 60% cocoa content is made up of cocoa butter and chocolate liquor with the remaining 40% made up of sugar, vanilla, and other ingredients.

Is higher cocoa content always better?
Not necessarily. The cocoa content gives an indication of how intense or how sweet the chocolate will be. The preference for higher cocoa content chocolate may change from person to person or from time to time. Why do I need to know the cocoa percentage? Knowing the cocoa percentage will help you select the chocolate to satisfy your craving. Since higher cocoa content chocolate is less sweet with a more intense chocolate flavor, knowing the cocoa content will help you select the perfect chocolate for you.

Is cocoa percentage the main indicator of quality?
While cocoa percentage will determine the intensity of the chocolate, the quality of chocolate is also affected by many other factors including:

- Quality and selection of cocoa beans
- Roasting process
- Grinding, blending, and conching processes
- Technology employed in the chocolate making process
- Quality of other ingredients (for example, vanilla vs. vanillin)
- Experience in chocolate making

What is the difference between “cacao” and “cocoa”?
Historically, “cacao” and “cocoa” were used interchangeably since “cocoa” is easier to understand. However, technically, “cocoa” should be used in referenced to powder products, while “cacao” should be used when referring to the bean, which yields the cacao components - chocolate liquor, cocoa butter and cocoa powder.

When I look at another brand's products, it says “Chocolate Flavor.” What does that mean?
Some other brands don't use real chocolate in their products, so by regulation, they cannot be labelled as chocolate. Monggo uses real chocolate in its products.

Is chocolate with higher cocoa content “darker?” 
Yes, in general, “darker” chocolate and higher cocoa content chocolate mean the same thing – more intense chocolate taste and higher percentage of cocoa components, although the definition of dark chocolate is very broad.

I just opened a chocolate bar and the chocolate is dry with white spots on it. What is this
Most commonly, this is “bloomed” chocolate. Chocolate bloom occurs when chocolate has been exposed to wide changes in temperature. Although it may look unpleasant, bloomed chocolate is not harmful to eat. 

What is "dutched" cocoa? 
Dutched cocoa means the cocoa underwent a process that results in milder chocolate flavor a result of reducing acidity. The dutching process can also change the color from light red to brown to black. Dutched cocoa works well in chocolate items such as devil's chocolate cake or brownies. 

How much caffeine is in chocolate? 
The amount of caffeine in chocolate is very low. A 1.4- ounce piece of milk chocolate contains about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of decaffeinated coffee. There is an average of 6 mg. of caffeine in both an ounce of milk chocolate and a cup of decaf coffee, while a cup of regular coffee contains between 65 and 150 mg. of caffeine. 

What is cocoa butter? 
Cocoa butter is a natural fat that is present in cocoa beans. It is obtained by pressing the unsweetened chocolate, or “chocolate liquor.” Cocoa butter is not a dairy product as is sometimes thought.

What is Soy Lecithin? 
A natural emulsifier derived from soybeans, which is added to chocolate to help maintain an emulsion between the cocoa butter and sugar. 

Is Chocolate Liquor alcohol? 
Chocolate liquor is the ground up centre (nib) of the cocoa bean (otherwise known as unsweetened chocolate) in a smooth, liquid state. It contains no alcohol. 

How should chocolate be stored? 
Chocolate should be kept wrapped tightly in a cool, dry place with a temperature ranging from 60-75°F. If the storage temperature exceeds 75°F, some of the cocoa butter may appear on the surface, causing the chocolate to develop a whitish cast, known as "bloom" The chocolate will still, however, be fine to eat. In hot climates or during the summer, chocolate can be stored in the refrigerator, although this isn't ideal as the chocolate may absorb odors from other foods. Dark chocolate actually improves with age, like a fine wine, if stored in an airtight container at 60-65°F.

The difference between Pralin-Praline-Praliné?
Pralin (Indonesian) and Praline (English) refers to the same meaning, small chocolate with filling in it. While Praliné refers to cashew nut cream.


Viciously Delicious

Find out the wild side experience of  Monggo.


Read more